- new Google Sites API offers a Get Out of Jail Free card to businesses that have their content locked in SharePoint http://is.gd/3Mr2p #
- if you want to test the new myFUNAMBOL portal start by reading this http://is.gd/3MCE3 !funambol #
- Lots of people testing the new myFUNAMBOL but not a lot of feedback. That's a sign that things go smoothly, nothing to complain, right? 🙂 #
- This post comes at the right time: I'll use it for my presentation at the internal #funambol engineering meeting http://is.gd/3MPeD #
We don’t hate Microsoft, and we don’t consider it the Great Satan. But we do recognize it as the company that has separated more users from their freedom than any other, and a powerful avowed enemy of computer users’ freedom. We act accordingly.
- How Twitter and Crowdsourcing Are Reshaping Recruiting #hbr http://bit.ly/xSIjP #
- I could have written this myself: don’t expect FOSS advocates to kiss your ring or give up their ideals http://is.gd/3KEYf #
- amen: Microsoft's current strategy is to dilute the meaning of “open source” until it becomes irrelevant http://is.gd/3KFrh #
- myFUNAMBOL upgrade proceeding as planned. In a few hours it will be ready for testing. Volunteers dm me #
- I read here that @mjasay suggests that the role of the Free Software Foundation is crucial to 'world domination' http://bit.ly/14Sodr #
- I read here that @mjasay suggests that the role of the Free Software Foundation is crucial to 'world domination' http://bit.ly/14Sodr !fsf #
Stallman’s position is pretty clear to me: he is afraid that software patents can kill the work of his life, depriving users of the digital freedom that he and the FSF have been promoting in the past 25 years. His reasoning is very logic, as usual:
1) software patents are a threat to free as in freedom software
2) Mono uses patented techniques, patents held by Microsoft
3) Microsoft’s business model is incompatible with free as in freedom software and recent behaviour confirm that Microsoft uses software patents to attack free software.
Given these premises, RMS concludes that Mono is not a safe framework to develop applications on. I’ve read and agree with most of the poins made by the Ubuntu Technical Board and Dave Neary. In other circumstances I would have agreed with him also on this one:
I fundamentally disagree with discouraging someone from pursuing a technology choice because of the threat of patents.
Except that this time it’s not a generic technology that we’re talking about. It’s Microsoft. With them we can’t be friends unless proven wrong, it must be the other way around: Microsoft has a history of misbehaviour and of abuses. Microsoft needs to demonstrate that they’re worth being trusted. They made a step forward adding a promise not to sue on C# and CLI. But they must do more, much more in that direction before the free software community can feel safe.
I hope that the name-calling stops on all sides. I became very sad reading the offense thrown at Suse/Novell developers. I hope also that proponents of Mono will understand that the issue is not how good C# and Mono is but how trustworthy Microsoft is. Mono proponents need to convince their friends at Microsoft to change their attitude towards free software, release information to reach interoperability under copyleft compatible terms and stop abusing of the patents system. I think that this is what the free software community really needs.
- #mono proponents should focus on explaining why we should trust Microsoft and stop complaining about @rms #
- #mono proponents should focus on explaining why we should trust Microsoft and stop complaining about @rms !fsf !gnu #
- Who cares if iPhone can send mms when you've got mobile email. mms are a ripoff anyway, just like sms #
- New #funambol releases approaching, stay tuned for announcements later today #
- GPL valid in and enforceable in France, Paris Court of Appeals found: http://bit.ly/oMhZu (Via @cdaffara) congrats to fsffrance #
- I repeat: #Palm should file an #antitrust complaint to EU DG Competition and get #apple on its knees http://bit.ly/1yDUPv !drm !dfd !fsf #
- Mozilla #thunderbird 3 beta 4 is out and Funambol renews its codesniper offer: $1500 for a port of its syncml plugin http://bit.ly/a0a7i #
- Community contribution: howto install !funambol on #Fedora and MySQL http://is.gd/3BjH3 #
- New !Funambol software to download: BB client, Java ME Email client, Outlook, C++ SDK http://bit.ly/4dPpfY #