Just don’t buy that combo: Mac and BlackBerry are two very closed environments, they don’t want to be interoperable, they hate each other and their customers.
Not that I would make such mistake, never. But I have friends that do this kind of stuff and then I’m enough of a friend to share with them the painful experience. A very good friend of mine loves Mac: it’s a cult (no rationality, only emotions) coupled with a very strong lock-in strategy with non-standard data format and in general poor interoperability with the outside world. She hates touchscreens, so she ruled out buying an iPhone. I can’t really say that this is necessarily bad because the iPhone would have tightened her data in stronger shackles.
So she decided to buy a BlackBerry Curve 8900 hoping that RIM’s newly released Desktop Manager for Mac would work. As she soon realized, that was a wrong assumption. I tried to help her out but DM for Mac is a smelly piece of **ap. The software installs fine and when you connect the phone for the first time the DM happily tells you that there are upgrades available for your device. Do you want to install them? DM asked. Not now, I answered, as I first want to do a backup of all data. Ok, clicked on Backup. The DM tried to shit but only farted: after 3 minutes with a progress bar not progressing, it said ‘Sorry, can’t backup’. Ok, I said, lets try this again. This time no useless progress bar, nothing. I noticed that the BB seemed disconnected. I unplugged and plugged it in again several times but nothing changed. I tried soft rebooting the machine with no result, so I hard rebooted it taking off the battery. Everybody hates rebooting a BB: after waiting for 3 minutes I connected the usb cable again to the Mac Desktop Manager and the device showed up again, connected. DM asked: Do you want to install the updates for your device? This time I answered Yes, thinking that maybe declining the request the first time was the reason for the mess. Well, it wasn’t: the DM started the upgrade process but, after a few painful minutes watching the progress bar not showing any progress, it eventually gave up. I tried again the soft reboots, unplug-replug., hard reboot, etc. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the RIM Desktop Manager as suggested in the BB forums (wow! a pure Windows mentality) until I finally gave up. I’ll see if I can find a Windows machine for her to update the BB firmware and see if that solves the problem of communication between Mac and BB.
The lesson learned is: if you buy highly proprietary products like Mac and BlackBerry don’t expect them to be interoperable between each other. These companies hate each other and they sacrifice their user’s freedom of choice only to see the other company suffer.
- wife says "#OpenOffice.org for #mac is great! I'll never go back to the MS stuff". Life is full of small victories !oo.org #
- Schools should never promote non-free sw "Getting Stanford's "Karel the Robot" to Run in Debian's Eclipse" http://ur1.ca/dsq8 #
- what a great night with my fellow mba students #MIP. I love my school, I love my classmates #
- Jeremy Allison knows Microsoft and patent threats by Microsoft very well: develops #Samba. Says that #Mono is dangerous http://is.gd/4kZx1 #
- RT @funambol How to hack !Funambol Email Client using #NetBeans http://is.gd/4l488 #
- If you've ever wondered what's inside Leonardo da Vinci's notebooks, you've got six years to take a look. http://bit.ly/3EzToZ #
- Finally somebody is working to get rid of the mouse! As I've always asked http://is.gd/4j3oA #10guy http://10gui.com/ #
- #WorldofGoo one of the best puzzle games ever. And today its price is set by YOU! The author is against #drm too http://ur1.ca/dl3f !dbd #
- Today's #Dilbert is not funny. Sorry: I like Dilbert because it's so close to reality, but this is too close: it's sad http://is.gd/4jkOf #
- What is the best #WordPress plugin for #identi.ca? I use #twittertools on http://maffulli.net but would like to use IdenticaTools instead #
- Support Firefox 5th Anniversary, add a #twibbon to your avatar now! – http://bit.ly/XZLsk #
- Successfully installed the Google Docs Connector for #funambol. No problem so far, now I need a WinMobile phone for test http://is.gd/4hAMP #
- Working on my speech at #symbian expo in 2 weeks. The debate on Free Sw Business is hot. Show me the Money (@SEE ‘09) http://is.gd/4hBR7 #
- Nice read #esr about forges. Not just data is jailed, but they focus on code, not on people writing it http://is.gd/4hEfX #
- RT @cdaffara Migration from XP to W7 costs 1700$ for "moderately managed users" http://bit.ly/1rbUT Not far from estimates for OSS migration in reply to cdaffara #
- leggo la Gelmini accusare la magistratura di ostacolare le riforme. Ma i magistrati applicano le leggi che il parlamento non semplifica #
- #cloudcomputing gone WRONG! OMG! Very WRONG! Microsoft's "Cloudburst" – Spectacular Data Loss Drowns Sidekick Users http://bit.ly/4z17WW #
- 3 Ways to Pitch Yourself in 30 Seconds #HBR http://bit.ly/13sE6D #
- Very interesting experiment by #Wikimedia and #HBR. Should !fsf do it too? Can an Online Community Shape a Strategy? http://bit.ly/ooukt #