- Doing mobile in US is hard: AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom http://is.gd/cdAurF #
- Thanks @astro_paolo for the beautiful images and words: discover Twitter from space and more on http://t.co/Kqcf8MV #5yrs #
- Twitter turns five and gets a big present from Italian astronaut @astro_paolo http://ur1.ca/3mc3f #
- Join me at the Firefox 4 Twitter Party and celebrate the newest version #fx4 #teamfirefox http://t.co/gGQ1sPU via @firefox #
- Go @twitter: If you are using Firefox 4, you now have an extra layer of security when accessing mobile.twitter.com http://t.co/pC3CMEs #
- Only 7 days left for Belgium to break the world record of a country without a government! http://t.co/pVONUn1 #
- Nice picture of two friends on a wall. Can you guess who they are? http://t.co/vBqz2Ph #
- LSE director resigned b/cause he accepted money from Ghadafi's son. Berlusconi kissed his hand: what should he do? http://t.co/WFKLHld #
- Look at them: aren't they cute? http://t.co/bjNeMGx #
- Every parliament has its clowns: GOP Congresswoman proposes bill to declaring pi to be exactly 3. http://t.co/HFt3DqG via @JPBarlow #
- Great article from @lucabaiguini: great results need just a sketch and a leader http://t.co/7aO6KBC #MIP #HBR #
- Almost … #
- RT @nmar: churnalism site shows how many news stories are just press releases http://ow.ly/4lG5P @churnalert #
- RT @glynmoody EU Bodies Plan Upgrade to #Windows 7 Without Public Tender – http://bit.ly/eGoNfN shameful (v @jerezim @BrusselsGeek) #lockin #
- Buon divertimento @LivePaola @dottavi @funkysurfer @marcomassarotto e mandateci foto 🙂 #
- The Certification Authority system is borked http://bit.ly/h4DXsO and http://on.wsj.com/i9E86g #
- Al @sfmoma pensando a zio Peppino #
- The best thing of @sfmoma, besides its impressive collection? You can take pictures! Get it, Uffizi? #
- ho iniziato a curare una lista per seguire il campionato Formula1 in tempo reale su Twitter. Altri suggerimenti? http://t.co/G5fzL5C #
- When millions of people beat millions of dollars http://is.gd/CclEgt #swpat #
- Tre domande alla CGIL. Chissà se rispondono http://is.gd/M6Xnlx #nFA #
Every time I hear someone saying that something can’t be done, it’s too hard, there are interests and forces against you that are too big, I remember this David vs. Goliath photo and the months, years of fight that lead to a big victory. And the lessons I learned on how to talk to high-level politicians and super-lawyers, how to influence people and turn enemies into allies.
For years, the free software movement rallied European citizens and small and medium businesses to reject a very bad directive on patentability of ‘computer implemented inventions’ (in other words, software) that would have damaged society in the long run. We managed to coordinate a strategy between different organizations, like FFII and FSFE. The movement succeeded in building a vast coalition of supporters against the directive, across the political spectrum. We isolated European giants SAP and Nokia, left alone to support a directive that appeared to be written by US-based multinationals.
This picture taken the day of the vote in 2005 shows the different size of the budget: the big guns had a full boat floating in the canal next to the European Parliament in Strasbourg and a huge banner. Our movement had canoes and small flags.
They had millions, we were millions. And we won.
My friend Gianugo Rabellino has a tough job trying to help Microsoft clean up its image of anti-open source company. The best comment I read about its latest attack on Android and Linux (the ebook reader is just an excuse, I agree with Steve J. Vaughan-Nichols) using the equivalent of nuclear weapons (software patents) is on TechCrunch:
Microsoft still has many talented people doing great things. Kinect and even Windows Phone the product, not the strategy jump to mind. But the suits and lawyers are burying all of that under 700 metric tons of bullshit
Read Vivek Wadhwa’s Why We Need To Abolish Software Patents if you’re still not convinced that this is madness.
When I first contacted Paolo Nespoli offering my help to him to use Twitter I never thought he could one day send this spectactular video from space.
- Spherical cake! Pi makes the form, sweetness is the substance http://bit.ly/dOgxMz #
- Microsoft gives only $250k in cash to Japan and the rest is 'value' for them: new future customers w/ gratis software http://bit.ly/h9sPfb #
- I have been through Chernobyl, the nuclear clouds reached Italy. Now this. Never been a fan of nuclear plants http://bit.ly/ebWEiJ #
- The facebook-ization of the web is continuing. We're on a slippery slope http://bit.ly/gDNByX #
- Vorrei guardare meglio come funziona Libero Aiuto. qualcuno ha un account su libero.it che può condividere temporaneamente con me? #
- Il malo-giornalismo è come la mala-sanità: un problema italiano cui nessuno pone rimedio. Stavolta ci rimette il @cicap http://bit.ly/gSg6MZ #
- Idee per i musei italiani: esempi di integrazione con la comunicazione in tempo reale http://nyti.ms/hRYT7B #
- It's good to start the morning abroad and listen classic Pino Daniele thinking of Italy. Happy #Italia150 #
- dedicato ai pagliacci che oggi non festeggiano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBU1JZlJ9Hc #Italia150 #
- The Italian national anthem translated in English http://bit.ly/fBZKtL Make sure to read the references too #Italia150 #
- Evviva la Repubblica evviva l'Italia unita. Grazie Presidente Napolitano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zfox-UPD9A #Italia150 #
- Falling Coconuts Kill More People Than Shark Attacks (source is not independent though) http://www.unisci.com/stories/20022/0523024.htm #
- Roma is in the Top 20 world cities of Facebook penetration http://ur1.ca/3khaj #
- listening to the amazing story of Italian entrepreneur founder of @technogym the company that created the wellness concept #
- From a garage in provincial Cesena to official training equipment of Bejing olimpyc games @technogym #
- #FSF has a new executive director. Thank you @peterb, good luck @johnsu01 http://bit.ly/giDclW #
- News Outlets Gather Tsunami Info w/ Social Media Tool Storify http://t.co/zwirmEA #
- Exciting: JUANES participará en un evento en Twitter http://t.co/p65oHqr #
- I should have worn my black shirt for today's meeting w/ @juanes http://t.co/cPeAh1W #twuanes #
- so tempting: NASA To Host Open Source Summit March 29-30 In California http://is.gd/hUTPe8 #
- Google’s Quest to Build a Better Boss: it's all about the soft skills http://is.gd/3Fcpxj #
- Non avevo dubbi: BLOBbox è VIP Gold su PC Professionale di marzo, nel confronto con altri 12 mediaplayer! #blobbox #tvblob #
- RT @astro_paolo: Steve Bowen e Al Drew al lavoro fuori l’ISS. lavoro duro, qualcuno deve pur farlo! #sts133 #ISS http://flic.kr/p/9mQ3N3 #
- Siamo messi a pekoronakias, come dice Demetrio Parakulis sul Ruggito del Coniglio http://bit.ly/iemIqT #
- il gioco del bunga bunga? Developer: Ubisoft Milan, Italy (Wii) http://bit.ly/e0z5Vz #
- RT @ProPublica: Which EU countries export the most arms to Libya? via @guardian @datastore http://bit.ly/f2WqN8 #opendata #
- I lost a bet: iPad 2 has a rear facing camera. Oh well, I guess it's useful to keep the price high but still can't see a valid use case #
- Going to meet the 10 finalists of Ming the Bridge startup competition http://gymnasium.mindthebridge.org/ #MTB #
- Going to meet the 10 finalists of Mind the Bridge startup competition http://gymnasium.mindthebridge.org/ #MTB #
- Ah, good old Data Protection Directive, I miss you in USA! Damn telemarketers http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/privacy/index_en.htm #
- Facebook helped coordinate revolt in #Egypt Twitter helped the world to follow revolution #hackdemocracy #
- over 265 days without a government. Belgium for the world record http://lerecorddumonde.be/ #nogov #
A discussion on identi.ca started by Bradley Kuhn when he said
I am becoming increasingly convinced that if your #FLOSS project needs a “Community Manager” or similar position, it’s in trouble.
The conversation that followed on identi.ca doesn’t seem to consider two things: FLOSS projects are often the effort of for-profit (or simply revenue seeking, as you prefer) organizations and that there is lots of interesting projects out there. Putting aside the objectives to raise funds, the competition between FLOSS projects is what’s interesting most. As a community manager I have learned that projects compete for attention of contributing developers. Attention is rare and to find it is a full time job.
A good community manager focuses on getting the attention from developers, so they chose to contribute to your project instead of going to another one. While others in the organization can focus on developing software, finding sources of revenue, assuring quality and the rest of the stuff, the community manager must focus on grabbing attention.
I think that when FLOSS projects outgrow the basement where they start they need somebody inside the group that can look outside, to users and contributors.