Several nights after, the hardware is ready. I found a used Dremel on Craigslist: great machine to cut the plastic quickly. I carved an opening in the microwave’s front door and mounted the Landzo display on it. For holding the Pi in place, I used a very low tech hack of wood sticks and glue, plus a rubber band. Unfortunately the first-gen Pi doesn’t have mounting holes on its base and I didn’t want to spend more money on a case. Good enough.
The microwave came with buttons and a LED that I connected to the board’s GPIO: the Start button starts the photobooth app, and the LED blinks while taking pictures. There are 4 more buttons that I will probably connect too for something fun, like show a video of actual food being cooked in the microwave… something for version 2 though.
In the next post I’ll talk a little more about the Python code I modified to use WordPress REST API.