Welcome big corporations with big pockets and fancy lawyers, goodbye myth of lonely genius changing the world in a garage. Is this Obama’s new America?
Apple has LOST all claims wrt the european patent 2098948. The court thinks that the european patent 1964022 is worthless and will be thrown out in reexamination anyway as prior art has been shown by Samsung. The only thing that remains is the european patent 2059868. And the claims of that patent can be circumvented in trivial ways.
So if Google had acquired the rights to these patents, that would have been OK. But when others acquired them, it’s a “hostile, organized campaign”. It’s OK for Google to undermine Microsoft’s for-pay OS licensing business by giving Android away for free, but it’s not OK for Microsoft to undermine Google’s attempts to give away for free an OS that violates patents belonging to Microsoft?
Yes, exactly. Because those patents are absurd 99% absurd and the rest 1% is irrelevant. John: the US patent system is broken. I know that Google saying it may sound like they just don’t want to pay but the truth is that Google is not the only one highlighting the level of absurd reached. I suggest you to start by reading this.
Microsoft still has many talented people doing great things. Kinect and even Windows Phone the product, not the strategy jump to mind. But the suits and lawyers are burying all of that under 700 metric tons of bullshit
Read Vivek Wadhwa’s Why We Need To Abolish Software Patents if you’re still not convinced that this is madness.
Finally, commentators admit that Chinese patents will serve as land mines for foreign businesses. Doh! Great comment from @vwadhwa on TechCrunch:
This is a battle we can’t win. The Chinese economy will be littered with millions of stumbling blocks for foreign business. These companies will have to offer up their intellectual property in exchange for Chinese intellectual property—in the same way that IBM and Microsoft trade patents. Or they will have to pay license fees to enter the Chinese market. And China may challenge the U.S. globally with its new patents as it plans to do with 4G.
This was mainly the argument we used at FSFE to push the European Union to the reject the US-sponsored directive that would have legalized software patents in EU. European citizens won that battle and I’m so glad I had the possibility to help win it. The suggestion from the author is:
It’s best to disarm before it is too late.That means reforming the patent system. We really don’t need software patents, and we really don’t need patents in other technologies that evolve rapidly.
Read the rest: Let’s Compete on Innovation Rather Than Patents.
se ho ben capito le idee non sono brevettabili e quindi […] chiunque può rivedere la mia idea e ricopiarla con un altro marchio?
Mi colpisce sempre come qualcuno possa pensare di basare il vantaggio competitivo di un’azienda solo su un brevetto. Evidentemente la propaganda pro-brevetti fa breccia nelle menti di alcuni e certamente il mito del povero inventore che di colpo diventa ricco senza faticare è dura a morire. La dura realtà è che un brevetto da solo quasi non basta nemmeno alle aziende farmaceutiche per ottenere un vantaggio competitivo sostenibile. La recente battaglia tra Nokia e Apple dimostra che i brevetti oggi non servono affatto a stimolare l’innovazione, ma piuttosto a limitarla. Nokia ha smesso di innovare, Apple la sta superando ma la prima si è lanciata alla rincorsa con gli uffici legali.
Le ho consigliato di leggere il post di Seth Godin su come proteggere le ideee (non si può) e il libro The art of the start di Guy Kawasaki. A tutti consiglio anche di firmare la petizione di FFII per sensibilizzare i politici europei sui danni che il brevetto comunitario può fare alle imprese nazionali.